OSD3358 on custom board resets every 15s

Forums Devices OSD335x-SM OSD3358 on custom board resets every 15s

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      George Wallerboscoe
      Participant

Hi all,

I have created a custom board with the OSD3358 BSM based on the PocketBeagle PCB. I can boot the processor with the OSD3358-SM-RED Linux image with the U-Boot patch as described here. The board boots, the LEDs flash and I get the output on the console as below. The first time it tries to boot I get to the ‘Starting Kernal’ where I see the current draw on my bench PSU drop and rise again as the boot process starts once more. If I enter the U Boot console to stop the normal boot process the same with happens. I’ve measured the cycle to ~15s. I have used the multi meter to verify the PMIC_GOOD/PWRONRESET (tied together) signal as well as the WARMRSTN signal going low as the boot process stops. I have measured all of the power supplies and they are fine.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might happening/ what I can check next?

Thanks.

Neeraj Dantu

Hi boscoe,

Please check for shorts on IO signals of the board. Also measure the total current consumption and compare it to the expected current consumption of an equivalent design such as a Beaglebone. Monitor the thermal behavior of the board as well as that would indicate an abnormal power draw as well. A high power draw on one of the power rails could be causing the board to reset periodically. Also make sure that PMIC_PB_IN pin of OSD335x is not grounded as that causes the PMIC to power cycle(every 8 sec).

Apart from shorting/current draw there might be a specific component at fault. The processor has already booted at ~15 seconds, are there other components that are being powered up/initialized at ~15 seconds?

Plotting the main power rails including the power input, the PMIC/processor interface and power rails of various subsystems of the processor with an oscilloscope might be useful to pin point which power rail is at fault if that is the case.

Hope that helps. Please let us know how it goes.

Neeraj

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.