Octavo Red EMAC1 Boot Issues

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Benjamin Lucasblucas986
      Participant

Hello,

I am having trouble booting the Octavo RED board over Ethernet. I am confident my DHCP/TFTP server is functioning correctly because I am able to boot a BeagleBone Black (Rev C) dev board the same way. The only difference between the two that I can see is that the BBB uses an MII interface and the Octavo RED uses RGMII. Using Wireshark, I can see the BBB request and receive a dynamic IP address, then it starts transferring files (u-boot-spl.bin, u-boot.img, device tree blob, initramfs). However, the Octavo RED never even seems to request a dynamic IP address. The RJ-45 jack lights up with a green and orange light, but there is never any traffic observable by Wireshark. I have tried this with two RED boards, so it seems like I am missing something in my SYSBOOT vector, but I would like to get another opinion.

I have the following settings for SYSBOOT vector:
      SYSBOOT[15:0]=0100000011010101
      SYSBOOT[7:6] = 11 RGMII w/o internal delay
      SYSBOOT[4:0] = 10101 Boot Sequence (NANDI2C, MMC0, EMAC1, UART0)
      SYSBOOT[4:0] = 10001 Boot Sequence with S3 pressed (XIP, UART0, EMAC1, MMC0)

In both boot sequences, with an empty uSD card slot (MMC0), I can see the UART0 boot request (multiple C’s in the terminal). It seems to hang up for a long time on the EMAC1 portion of the sequence, even though there is no traffic.

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
      Ben

Neeraj Dantu

Ben,

We believe you have received our offline reply. For reference, inputs are also provided below:

The delay is being caused because the Gigabit Ethernet PHY is taking too long for auto-negotiation during boot up. Setting the PHY to boot in 10/100MBit mode allows the PHY to be configured correctly from the get go so it can transmit packets as instructed by the ROM code. You could verify this by holding the processor in reset for a while after applying power and then looking at the Ethernet activity to see if there is a BOOTP request from the already configured Ethernet PHY.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Best,

Neeraj

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.