Issues getting HDMI image on Debian Image

Forums Reference, Evaluation, and Development Boards OSD32MP1-RED Issues getting HDMI image on Debian Image

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Manuel Malagon
      Participant

I followed the OSD32MP1-RED Getting Started guide and section 6.3 mentions that I can connect a monitor through the micro HDMI. I connected my monitor but there is no image. I wonder if I need to explicitly run something to get the GUI going or if I did something wrong.

By the way, I’m using the Debian image I built using the OSD32MP1 Debian SDK and running from eMMC.

Any ideas?

Manuel Malagon
      Participant

Upon further investigation, I found this:

Why could this be happening?

Neeraj Dantu

Manuel,

It looks like the weston service is exiting with fault. Can you restart the service and see what happens? Please also report when this error occurs, does it occur when you are trying to plug in a monitor?

Try different monitors and resolutions as well.

Best,

Neeraj

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Neeraj Dantu.
        Manuel Malagon
        Participant

Neeraj

Thanks for helping. That is the status of Weston service when I boot the board with the monitor plugged in. If I boot the board without the monitor then the service works just fine, but then if I plug in the monitor after the board has booted nothing happens. If I restart the Weston service after plugging in the monitor then Weston fails again.

I’m using a 1080p monitor that doesn’t have an HDMI input so I’m using an HDMI-to-DVI cable. Maybe that is the problem. I didn’t know that could have an adverse effect. I’ll try to test with another monitor and see what happens.

I’ll let you know what happens when using an HDMI monitor.

Manuel Malagon
        Participant

Neeraj,

I forgot to mention, nothing happens if I restart the Weston service.

I have tried with an HDMI 720p monitor and it didn’t work either.

I get – connected – when I execute – sudo cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/status – and the following with – sudo cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/modes –

But I get – disabled – when executing – sudo cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/enabled –

I also get this when executing sudo get-edid | parse-edid

I hope this helps.

Neeraj Dantu

Manuel,

Can you make sure that the jumper configuration on the board is such that the LCD pins are connected to the HDMI framer? Please see Sheet #3 of the RED schematic: https://octavosystems.com/docs/osd32mp15x-red-schematic-pdf/. It looks like the monitor is being recognized. If Weston is crashing, it could mean that the SoC is unable to push LCD data at a pixel rate that is required. Did you change any of the clock tree settings? One more thing to check is whether you are running the default RED image. Please use an SD card and see if the images on OSD32MP1-RED page will work(https://octavosystems.com/octavo_products/osd32mp1-red/#Software).

Best,

Neeraj

Manuel Malagon
        Participant

Neeraj

The board is configured properly and that is verified by the fact that I get video if I use the openstlinux image. Due to your suggestion, I tried the pre-built image in the link you give and it is working correctly! I get video with this image.

The problem is that I used the eMMC image generated following the OSD32MP1 Debian SDK steps here: https://github.com/octavosystems/osd32mp1-debian to flash the on-board eMMC.

Maybe you need to check out that image and see if there are any problems with it because that is the one that doesn’t work and that I need. Please let me know your thoughts on this. I followed the steps exactly as outlined in that website.

Neeraj Dantu

Manuel,

The pre-built image should be the same as built with the SDK. Please check if you have the following setting in device tree for PLL4: https://github.com/octavosystems/OSD32MP1-RED-Device-tree/blob/main/u-boot-v2018.11/osd32mp1-red-u-boot.dtsi#L169. This PLL is responsible for generating the clock for LTDC peripheral.

Best,

Neeraj

Manuel Malagon
        Participant

Neeraj,

Well, something must have gone wrong with the image I created. I created the image using the STM32CubeProgrammer v2.6.0 which was crashing at the very end of the process (I posted a question in this forum about that) but the board worked fine, apparently, just the HDMI had issues. Everything else seemed to be working well. I switched to the STM32CubeProgrammer v2.5.0, created the image again, and flashed it to the eMMC. This time the flashing was successful without the programmer crashing at the end and now I have video coming out of the board.

So I don’t know what was wrong the first time but now it is working fine. I’ll keep using the STM32CubeProgrammer v2.5.0 to avoid future issues. I don’t know what’s wrong with 2.6.0.

Ed MaynardEd Maynard
      Participant

I built the Debian image from the instructions on the GitHub site. Programmed the eMMC and everything comes up fine. When I try to run the video demo with an attached display, I get the output in the attached file. Looks like it cannot find the display for the demo even though the default screen is displayed. Any thoughts where to look? All the hardware settings are correct per the Quick Start Guide.

Attachments:
        Neeraj Dantu

Ed,

We are aware of this issue. The ALSA setup is not configured correctly in the Debian image. Software team is looking into it.

Best,

Neeraj

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.