High-speed link between FPGA and PocketBeagle

Forums General High-speed link between FPGA and PocketBeagle

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Farzin ALMFarzin
      Participant

Hi,

I am trying to read some high-speed data from an external ADC with an FPGA and transfer it to the PocketBeagle. I would like to know if there is a way to implement a high-speed data link between the FPGA and PocketBeagle.

Regards,
      Farzin

Erik Welsh
      Keymaster

Farzin,

What data rate are you trying to support?

The PocketBealge headers provide access to a number of interfaces, including the PRU, which can be used to transfer data into the AM335x processor.

Thanks,

Erik

Farzin ALMFarzin
      Participant

Dear Eric,

Thank you for your reply. My objective is to send the ADC sampling rate and some other parameters to the FPGA and then read back the sampled data (12-bit) from FPGA with the data rate of around 75MB/s. I am not sure if the PRU interface of PocketBeagle is capable of doing this.

Thanks,
      Farzin

Erik Welsh
      Keymaster

Farzin,

The PRUs run at 200MHz.  You might be able to get data into the AM335x at 600Mbps but it will be difficult to do anything with that data.  You would need to do very little processing and use very low level code.  It would be better if you implemented a portion of your algorithm in the FPGA to get the data rate to the AM335x down (i.e. transfer “information” instead of “data”).

Thanks,

Erik

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.