Compiling osd3358-bsm-refdesign.dts

Forums Reference, Evaluation, and Development Boards OSD3358-SM-RED Compiling osd3358-bsm-refdesign.dts

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Andy Cookacook
      Participant

I’m trying to get a Yocto kernel recipe (using TI’s ti-linux-4.9.y branch of its ti-linux-kernel repository) to build, and am getting stuck at the point where it compiles the device tree. I’m using the files from your repo on Github ( https://github.com/octavosystems/OSD335x-Device-Tree ). I copied the osd3358-bsm-refdesign.dts file to a different name, but haven’t altered it otherwise except as noted below.

First, I can’t find evidence that am33xx-pruss-rproc.dtsi exists anywhere, so I commented out the line that tries to include that (I assume that will change certain behaviors, but hoped that it wouldn’t prevent any resulting image from booting).

Next, I get a message that’s less obvious to debug:

It looks like it’s complaining about line 139, but I’m unsure, as that section of the file is completely unmodified from what’s in your repo.

Any advice would be welcome!

Andy Cookacook
      Participant

One more bit of info: the version of dtc is 1.4.4

Neeraj Dantu

acook,

Please note that the device tree files were compiled with device tree rebuilder (https://github.com/RobertCNelson/dtb-rebuilder) with no issues. The OSD3358 device tree Github (https://github.com/octavosystems/OSD335x-Device-Tree) contains 3 files listed below:

1. osd335x-common.dtsi  – OSD3358 specific
      2. osd335x.dtsi – OSD3358 specific
      3. osd3358-bsm-refdesign.dts – OSD3358-SM RED board specific in OSD335x-Device-Tree/OSD3358-SM-RED

There is also a compiled version of the device tree in OSD335x-Device-Tree/OSD3358-SM-RED (osd3358-bsm-refdesign.dtb)

In order to compile, the 3 files listed above need to be placed in  dtb-rebuilder/src/arm after cloning the device tree rebuilder(branch 4.4-ti). You can use the Makefile in there to compile all the files or specific ones in the src/arm directory. This is also where you should be able to find the dependency am33xx-pruss-rproc.dtsi. The device tree rebuilder uses dtc(1.4.4) also.

Coming to the next part of the question, assuming that you renamed the file osd3358-bsm-refdesign.dts to am335x-thecount.dts, line 139

audio-ports = <AFMT_I2S 0x03>;

is from am335x-boneblack.dts line 143 (can also be found in src/arm directory of device-tree-rebuilder) and is a not supposed to cause any issues during compilation. If you have any more information regarding the error, we will be happy to help.

Thank you for your question.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Neeraj Dantu.
      Andy Cookacook
      Participant

Thank you for the reply, Neeraj. I eventually figured out what was going on. The version of tda998x.h that’s in the 4.9 Linux source is more specific with its #define values, and only generalizes to AFMT_I2S at the driver layer. I thus had to change AFMT_I2S to TDA998x_I2S in the device tree, and then it finished building.

Device Tree Rebuilder should prove helpful for iterating as we customize some drivers for our hardware, though, so thank you for pointing to that!

Mario GruberMario
      Participant

I’m also looking for am33xx-pruss-rproc.dtsi included by osd3358-bsm-refdesign.dts, but I was unable to find it in the Yocto ecosystem. Where does it originate from?

I also had to comment the missing include and rename AFMT_I2S to TDA998x_I2S. Wouldn’t it make sense to fix that in the repo?

Neeraj Dantu

Mario,

pruss-rproc: https://github.com/RobertCNelson/dtb-rebuilder/blob/4.4-ti/src/arm/am33xx-pruss-rproc.dtsi

Will fix the repo. Thanks for pointing out!

Neeraj

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.